If you’re OSX disk usage is being reported incorrectly then you’ve probably got caught by a Time Machine feature introduced in Apple OSX 10.7. This typically happens where your free disk space erodes over time or when you delete some files and yet the disk still claims to have the same space usage as before.
This is a silently introduced feature where Time Machine can operate on on laptops (Macbook Air / Macbook Pro) when the TM volume isn’t available. The system essentially snapshots your changes for backing up later.
Read about it here http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/18
If you want to disable the feature and reclaim your space go in to Terminal and enter:
sudo tmutil disablelocal
followed by return, and after entering you password and hitting return again, it should delete the local snapshots and free up the missing space.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- /blog/ powered by socialgo aging skincare
- osx showing wrong size of space available
- osx yosemite incorrect diskspace
- osx free space wrong
- osx etrecheck report wrong disk space
- mac harddrive capacity not reading correctly
- mac air incorrect hard disk space notification
- incorrect disk space mac
- apple incorrectly reporting free space
- about this mac disk usage incorrect
- time machine wrong disk size